Saturday, November 28, 2009

The risk of developing diabetes.

I remember many years ago that my grandfather is always getting confined in the hospital. This resulted to the extreme agony of my grandmother due to the cause that their business is slowly in a downfall. In as much as I couldn't imagine that the doctor advised to cut my grandfather's leg in order for the disease not to spread more on the other parts of his body. I was filled with much pity and with mercy for my grandfather. His face making the expression of being extremely hurt is very clear to my sight that in fact, until now, I could clearly picture out.

For most, there are many people who are not aware that they are at risk of developing diabetes hence it is imperative for everybody to adopt a healthy lifestyle and undergo FBS (Fasting Blood Sugar) check at regular intervals as their physicians recommend.

Study reveals that diabetes is a chronic disease caused by insulin deficiency or resistance and is characterized by disturbances in carbohydrates, protein and fat metabolism. It is classified under Insulin-Dependent Diabetes Mellitus (IDDM) or Type I and Non-Insulin-Dependent Diabeted Mellitus (NIDDM) or Type II.

Most cases of diabetes are strongly influenced by hereditary and other factors such as obesity, physiologic or emotional stress, pregnancy and orel contraceptives which increase levels of estrogen and placental hormones as well as other medications that are known insulin antagonists.

Symptoms of the disease include fatigue, frequent urination, excessive thirst, dry mucous membranes and poor skin condition, excessive desire to eat in IDDM and weight loss. Treatment among IDDM are injections of regular and NPH insulin and continuous subcutaneous insulin fusion (insulin pump). Treatments for NIDDMs consist of oral hypoglycemics that stimulate endrogenous insulin production and may also increase sensitivity at the cellular level.

Now, I've come to realize how tragically this disease has cause extreme sufferance to my grandfather. Good thing that I can protect myself ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment