Friday, November 27, 2009

I tried it.

I thought I knew how to breathe slowly and fully, until I tried the Resperate, a device that uses musical sues to help you train your inhalations and reach the therapeutic rate of ten breaths per minute. During my first 15-minute session, I learned that I rarely, if ever, fully exhale.

The Resperate comes with a headset that plays timed chimes and a chest monitor that measures your inhalations. Follow the musical prompts and your breath will take on a slower tempo.

Designed to lower blood pressure (trials show that using it three time a week can relax the muscles surrounding small blood vessels, and reduce your blood pressure after a month), the Reperate is just as useful as a stressbuster. Try it before a meeting or to soothe your nerves before you sleep.

The Resperate showed me how to fully let go of my breath - and some pent-up stress. I was quickly hooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment